Undergraduate Programme – this is run in collaboration with other departments in the Faculty of Pharmacy
The Postgraduate Programme in Clinical Pharmacy at University of Ibadan aims to offer intensive training to graduate pharmacists with B.Pharm or M.Sc degree so as to acquire expertise in the dynamic concepts of Pharmacy with special reference to Clinical Pharmacy, Pharmacy Practice and Total Pharmacy Care. There is a need however to ensure that the products of the programme are able to meet with the challenges of the modern day clinical practice, and also to get interested candidates the needed skills for research in the relevance areas of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice. In addition, joint residency programmes with the other universities is being planned to help students acquire advanced clinical skills.To this end, the course contents, methods of instruction, and instructional materials have been designed to meet the following objectives
- To provide supervised training for clinically-oriented pharmacists in appropriate in-patient and out-patient environments with in-depth knowledge in patient care, pharmacotherapeutics, drug interaction, clinical pharmacokinetics and related areas.
- To train pharmacists who are not only experts on issues pertaining to drugs and medicines, but who are also patient- oriented personnel whose role includes rational drug usage, drug monitoring and patient counseling to ensure good pharmaceutical care.
- To train and equip pharmacists interested in graduate programmes in clinical pharmacy the much needed research skill in pharmacy practice, drug information services, and other relevant areas
- To equip qualified graduates with specialized skills in clinical pharmacy beyond first degree for those needed in the Pharmaceutical industry hospitals, universities and research To equip qualified graduates with specialized skills in clinical pharmacy beyond first degree for those needed in the Pharmaceutical industry hospitals, universities and research institutes
Departmental Regulations Governing PG Program
- Admission to M.Sc programme in Clinical Pharmacy is open to all holders of Pharmacy degree (classified or unclassified, not less than a 22) of the University of Ibadan and other university recognized by the Senate of the University of Ibadan
- Candidates who possess M.Pharm or M.Sc (Clinical Pharmacy) degree from other Universities recognized by the Senate of the University of Ibadan may be admitted for M.Phil; M.Phil/Ph.D or PhD. Candidates with M.Sc in Biopharmacy / Pharmacy Administration or related discipline may also be admitted subject to approval. 800 Level courses are to be taken by all candidates in this category. Some 700Level courses may also be recommended.
- Candidates admitted for the M.Pharm/M.Sc; M.Phil; M.Phil/Ph.D and Ph.D will follow the existing University of Ibadan regulations
AREAS OF SPECIALISATION
- Pharmacotherapeutics (Medication Therapy Management)
- Clinical Pharmacokinetics
- Drug Interaction &Toxicity
- Drug Utilization
- Drug Information Sciences