Professor Chinedum Peace Babalola is the first female Dean of Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ibadan.
She is a registered Pharmacist and a Professor of Pharmacokinetics/Pharmaceutical Chemistry. She obtained her B.Pharm, MSc and PhD degrees from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria and completed a pre-doctoral fellowship at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. She also possesses a diploma in Industrial Advanced Pharmacy (IPAT) jointly from Kilimanjaro and Purdue University USA.
She has been Head of Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry twice and was the Director of General Studies Programme for University of Ibadan from 2005-2010. Babalola is a recipient of over 20 fellowship, awards and grants including World Bank; TWAS, DAAD, Hartford Hospital, NIH and MacArthur.
She has been a visiting scholar/fellow to University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, University of Jena, Germany, Hartford Hospital Connecticut, USA, Temple University, USA and College of Pharmacy, University of Sciences in Philadelphia, USA among others. In 2011, she won MacArthur Foundation grant and set up a centre of excellence called ‘Centre for Drug Discovery, Development and Production (CDDDP)’, the first of its kind in Africa.
She is an adjunct Professor in Genetic and Bioethics Unit, Institute of Medical Research and Training (IMRAT), College of Medicine UI, where she leads collaboration with University of Chicago on some grants in non-communicable diseases and bioethics.
Due to her academic and professional contributions, she was elected a Fellow of Academy of Science (FAS) in 2011, Fellow of Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (FPSN) in 2012 and Fellow of African Academy of Science (FAAS) in 2013. She is also registered public analyst (MIPAN).
Her research interests are pharmacokinetics, biopharmaceutics/bioequivalence, pharmaceutical analysis, bioethics, clinical trials and pharmacogenomics. She has to her credit over 120 publications as peer-reviewed publications, abstracts and conference presentations. She has supervised over 30 postgraduate students (PGD, MSC, M.Phil &PhD).
Some Selected peer-reviewed publications
- Babalola CP, Oluwalana I, Kotila OA, Adegoke OA, Kolade YT, Ameh SJ (2013) ‘A Novel Derivatization Ultraviolet Spectrophotometric Method for the Determination of Dihydroartemisinin Using P-Nitroaniline’ Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (in press)
- Babalola CP, Kanu DN, Okafor GO, Wumi A, Ajayi O, Kotila OA, Farombi EO. (2013) Toxicological Effect of SubTherapeutic, Therapeutic andOverdose regimens of Halofantrine Hydrochloride on Male Albino Rats. Pharmacologia 4 (3): 180-185, 2013
- Babalola, CP, Adejumo O., Din U., Zhiheng X., Odetunde A., Kotila T., Falusi A.G., Nagar S. (2010): ‘Cytochrome P450 CYP2C19 genotypes in sickle cell disease patients and normal controls’. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 35:471-477
- Babalola CP, Kolade YT, Olaniyi AA, Adedapo A, Scriba GKE (2009) Effect of fluconazole on the pharmacokinetics of halofantrine in healthy volunteers. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 34:677-682
- Ong CT, Babalola CP, Nightingale CH, Nicolau DP (2005): Penetration, intracellular accumulation and efflux of tigecycline in human polymorphonuclear neutrophils (PMNs). Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 56:498-501.
- Maglio D, Banevicius MA, Sutherland C, Babalola C, Nightingale CH, Nicolau DP (2005): Pharmacodynamic profile of ertapenem against Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli in a murine thigh model. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy49(1):276-280.
- Babalola CP, Nightingale CH, Nicolau DP (2004): Adjunctive efficacy of G-CSF on treatment of Pseudomonas aeruginosa pneumonia in neutropenic and non-neutropenic hosts. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 53(6):1098-1100.
- Babalola CP, Patel KB, Nightingale CH, Nicolau DP (2004): Synergistic activity of vancomycin and teicoplanin alone and in combination with streptomycin against Enterococci faecalis with various vancomycin susceptibilities. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 23: 343-348
- Babalola CP, Scriba GKE, Sowunmi A, Alawode OA (2003): Liquid chromatographic determination of pyronaridine in human plasma and oral dosage form. Journal of Chromatography B 792 (2): 265-272.
- Babalola CP, Adebayo AS, Omotosho A, Ayinde O (2004): Comparative bioavailability study of a new quinine suppository and oral quinine in healthy volunteers. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 3(1): 291-297
- Babalola CP, Iwheye GB, Olaniyi AA (2002): Effect of proguanil interaction on bioavailability of cloxacillin. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, 27: 461-464
- Bolaji OO, Sadare IO, Babalola CP, Ogunbona FA (2002): Polymorphic oxidative metabolism of proguanil in a Nigerian population. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 58:543-545.
Prof. Chinedum Peace Babalola (FPSN, FAS, FAAS) B.Pharm, MSC, PhD
AREA OF SPECIALISATION:
Pharmacokinetics,biopharmaceutics/bioequivalence, pharmaceutical analysis,bioethics, clinical trials and pharmacogenomics
Deans Office, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ibadan, Nigeria