Welcome to the Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Administration
We emphasize student-centered learning, scholarly activity, and service to society in an outstanding environment that fosters collaborative relationship with healthcare practitioners resulting in the advancement of patient care and safety, educational methodologies, and research.
The Department believes in rendering service to her immediate environment with national and global approach.
Our mission includes:
- Providing a comprehensive and qualitative education,preparing pharmacists to assume active roles in delivering ethical and compassionate care that improves the patient’s health and quality of life.
- Educating, training and maintaining competency of highly skilled clinical-oriented pharmacists, and train resource persons in other aspects of pharmacy practice programs such as hospital and community practice.
- Developing creative scholars devoted to the discovery, integration and dissemination of knowledge in the clinical and pharmaceutical sciences.
- Creating an environment that instills professionalism, integrity, empathy, high standard of ethical behavior, and the highest professional commitment to the patient and the community.
Our core values are Integrity, Honesty, Diligence and above all, professionalism.
Achievements of the Department
At various times, academic members of staff had obtained and enjoyed local and international grants and fellowshipsincludingTWAS/DBT Post-doc fellowship, TWAS/CAS Visiting fellowship, Senate Research Grants, TETFUND and MacArthur grant.
The department currently has Affiliation Agreement with the University of Colorado, Denver, and is also developing memorandum of understanding with two universities in the USA, in the effort to develop a robust environment for joint research, staff exchange and postgraduate training.
The department offers postgraduate trainingatM.Sc.,M.Phil.,M.Phil./Ph.D andPh.Dlevels in different areas of Clinical Pharmacy. The department also serves as a feeder department in training lecturers of Clinical Pharmacy for other universities in Nigeria. The postgraduate alumni from the department are leading clinical pharmacy experts in community, hospital and academic fields of pharmacy practice.
The department is equipped with training and research laboratories.
1. Communication Skill/Drug Information Laboratory- equipped with facilities to train students in the fundamentals of communication required for effective Clinical Pharmacy Practice and Total Pharmaceutical Care.
2. Two (2) Clinical Skills Acquisition Laboratories- The laboratory is usedfortraining students with hands-on experience on the use of Point-of-care devices/instrument
3. HyPAD Clinic – HyPAD isan acronym, which stands for Hypertension, Asthma and Diabetes screening clinics. The clinic runs on a semester basis as a service to the University community. Walk-ins are allowed for people with drug therapy problems (DTPs), questions about their medications, non-medication lifestyle changes specifically in the management of chronic diseases. Individuals with existing risk factors or whose screening parameters may be indicative of any of these conditions are referred to the appropriate quarters for further investigations and management.
In view of the dire need for expansion, and increasing demand to meet with the new global trend in pharmacy practice, the department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Administration welcomes donations and support both in the form of equipment, instruments, facilities, and cash from all and sundry including the postgraduate alumni in taking the department to the next level.
Please feel free to contact the departmental office or the Head of Department for any assistance towards achieving our vision and mission.